The promise of Big Data has remained largely unfulfilled for MySQL. Until now.
TokuDB is a storage engine for MySQL and MariaDB that dramatically improves the performance of large databases (typically 50 GBs or larger). By replacing 40-year-old B-tree technology with patented Fractal Tree® technology, TokuDB speeds indexing by 10x or more, and reducing the size of the database by up to 90%. Because of its exceptional indexing performance, TokuDB is ideal for applications that must simultaneously query and update large volumes of rapidly arriving data (e.g., clickstream analytics). And you do not have to change any application code.
Key Benefits of TokuDB for MySQL and MariaDB
- MySQL Performance, MariaDB Performance: With a 10x or more improvement in insertions and indexing, TokuDB delivers faster, more complex ad hoc queries in live production systems without rewriting or tuning applications. Offering high MySQL performance and MariaDB performance even when tables are too large for memory, TokuDB scales MySQL and MariaDB far beyond either InnoDB or MyISAM.
- MySQL Compression, MariaDB Compression: By leveraging write-optimized compression, TokuDB achieves up to a 90% reduction in HDD and flash storage requirements, without impacting performance.
- Agility: Hot Indexing enables ad hoc queries to run fast with realtime, optimized index support. Hot Column Addition/Deletion/Rename gives database administrators the freedom to rapidly define and add new fields.
- Additional Benefits: Providing immunity to database aging by eliminating the need to rebuild indexes, TokuDB ensures no more query slowdowns, no more dump/reload, and no more need for dedicated maintenance windows. In addition, by utilizing larger, less frequent I/O, TokuDB reduces wear for flash. Finally, with high insertion rates, TokuDB addresses the common and persistent problem of “slave lag” in which a replication server is unable to keep up with the query load borne by the master server.
- Advanced Tools (Enterprise Edition): Tools such as Hot Backup allow a backup to be completed while database is running.
Try TokuDB for MySQL Performance and MariaDB Performance Today
TokuDB is free for evaluation and for development purposes, and is available in both a Community Edition and an Enterprise Edition. The Enterprise Edition comes with hot back-up and free support for 30 days.
A software-only plug-in, TokuDB is MVCC and ACID-compliant and fully compatible with existing MySQL and MariaDB applications, requiring no modification to existing code or application logic. TokuDB uses Tokutek’s proven Fractal Tree® technology to extend the capacity of databases while improving MySQL performance, MariaDB performance transactional integrity and operating efficiencies.
MySQL is the most popular open source database software in the world. Many of the world’s largest and fastest-growing organizations use MySQL to save time and money powering their high-volume Web sites, critical business systems, communications networks, and commercial software. MySQL is owned by Oracle, the world’s largest business software company.
MariaDB strives to be the logical choice for database professionals looking for a robust, scalable, and reliable RDBMS (Relational Database Management System). MariaDB can be deployed as a drop-in replacement for the popular MySQL database and it is built by the original MySQL architects and most of the original core developers of MySQL with assistance from the broader community of Free and open source software developers. In addition to the core functionality of MySQL, MariaDB offers a rich set of feature enhancements including alternate storage engines, server optimizations, and security and performance patches. More information on MariaDB is available at http://mariadb.org and http://kb.askmonty.org.